- About LETRA
Lake Elmer Thomas Recreation Area (LETRA) is Fort Sill’s premier recreation destination meeting your recreation and lodging needs with close proximity to the Wichita Mountains Wildlife Refuge, Medicine Park, and Fort Sill. LETRA is located at the base of Mt. Scott on a 360 acre, no wake lake with year round camping availability and summer season recreation activities.
- Getting There
Located 12 miles NW of the main post, LETRA can be reached by vehicles using Apache Gate on Hwy 49 and all other by Sheridan Road Gate.
From I-44, take the Hwy. 62/Rogers Lane exit and head West. Exit to the right on Sheridan Road, Northbound. Enter Fort Sill and turn left at Mow-Way Road (1st light). Turn right on Tower Two Road (be cautious of the water crossing). Go approximately 4 miles and turn left on North Boundary Road. Go approximately 4 miles and LETRA will be on the right
Camping: LETRA is available for camping year round with several different options to include RV sites, tent camping, primitive camping and our modern cabins. For more information, please review the rental agreements.
Cabins: LETRA’s modern cabins are open year round for rent. They come in three sizes to meet your needs: small sleeps 4, medium sleeps 6, and large sleeps 8. One of our medium cabins is ADA compliant. Linens are not provided. The kitchen includes a fridge, microwave, coffee pot and 2-burner stove along with the needed utensils and cookware to prepare hot, steaming “camp” food! So come stay with us, watch the sunset over Lake Elmer Thomas, and Mount Scott from your front porch rocker!
RV Site Rates:
- Monthly Rate: $390
- Weekly Rate: $90
- Daily Rate: $20 off-season; $30 in-season
Recreation: LETRA is a great destination for both summer and year-round recreation activities for all to include:
Summer Season: Lifeguarded beach swimming area, double flume waterslide, and paddle boat, kayak, and canoe rentals.
All Seasons: Fishing, fishing boat rentals, biking, and hiking. *Note to hikers/bikers: Check in with Sportsman Services for personal safety located in Bldg. 1458, PunchBowl Rd., Fort Sill, OK before hiking/biking. Call +1 (580)442-3453 or +1 (580)442-3553 for more information.
Country Store: The Country Store offers many camping and recreational items for your stay at LETRA. During the Summer Season, the store is stocked with a variety of items to include drinks, snacks, food and other forgotten personal items. Rentals are done directly out of the store year-round.
Archery range: The archery range features block target and 3D targets along with an elevated 2-tier shooting platform. Archery equipment is available to rent from the Country Store.
Group Use Areas: LETRA has several group use areas that are available for rental throughout the year that are ideal for parties, unit and organization functions, reunions, etc.
The Lodge: The Lodge is available to rent for parties, unit and organization functions, reunions, etc.
Miniature Golf: Come and enjoy our 18-hole golf course. Games only cost $3 and can be purchased at our Country Store.
Disc Golf: LETRA has a nine-hole frisbee golf course on the west side of the site, near the cabins. Enjoy the course using your own equipment, or rent discs from the Country Store year-round.
Paintball: To reserve a paintball activity or event at LETRA, call +1 (580)442-5858 at least a week in advance. Reservations are made based on equipment availability. LETRA can accommodate groups of 4 to 25 people at one time on the rugged outdoor paintball course. Groups over 25 people can reserve the course for a half or full day to accommodate everyone. Participants and spectators must be at least 13 years old.
Paintball kits include a marker, hopper, mask, full air tank, and 500 paintballs.
Costs are as follows:
$30 per kit for groups of 4 to 49 people
$25 per kit for groups of 50 to 99 people
$20 per kit for groups of 100 or more people
500 additional rounds $10
All paintball participants and spectators must complete the Hold Harmless Statement, available for download here.
Playgrounds: There are several playground structures located throughout the park with a variety of sizes and age recommendations.
Fishing: Come on out and test your fishing skills or just have some fun. There are three different species of fish found in our lake. A valid Oklahoma State Fishing license is required and can be acquired online at http://www.wildlifedepartment.com/license.htm.
Watercraft rentals: Canoes, kayaks, paddle boats, bass boats and our pontoon boat are all available to rent Memorial Day - Labor Day. A valid boater safety card or certificate is required when renting our bass boats or pontoon. To rent these items, stop in at the Country Store.
Bathhouses: LETRA has 3 bathhouses for use throughout the park. The RV Park bathhouse is open year-round; includes bathrooms, a showering facility, and a laundry facility open all year. The Beach House has a bathroom and showering facility, which is only open when the beach is open. The west side of the park by the playgrounds has a bathroom facility, which is open 24 hours during the Summer Season.
Laundry: There is a 24-hour, coin-operated laundry facility located in the RV Park bathhouse.
- Lodge Snack Bar Menu
Menu Combo Meal Kid's Combo Hamburger $5.50 $10 $9 Hotdog $2.75 $7.25 $6.25 Nachos $1.25 $6.25 $4.75 Grilled Cheese $1.25 $6.25 $4.75
Combo Meal: Includes chips and soda
Kid's Combo: Includes chips and juice
- Park Rules
- All patrons will adhere to the directions of the lifeguards & LETRA staff at all times.
- Children ages 15 years & younger will remain under the supervision of their parents, legal guardian, and/or caregiver adult (18 years or older) at all times.
- Pushing, shoving, water fights, dunking other swimmers under the water, holding other swimmers under the water, and/or throwing other swimmers in the water is not allowed.
- Smoking/tobacco use is prohibited on the beach, lodge, and 75 feet from any facility or recreational activity to include playgrounds, archery range, miniature golf, & paintball.
- The beach will be cleared during thunder & lightning storms. Lifeguards will direct visitors go inside during the storm. The lifeguards will monitor the thunder & lightning activity. After 30 minutes of no thunder or lightning, the beach & water slides will open.
- Boats are not authorized in the designated swim area with the exception of those boats used in rescue operations conducted under the supervision of the lifeguards or emergency services personnel.
- Fishing is not allowed in the designated swim area.
- Scuba diving is prohibited in the swimming area.
- Infants and children who regularly wear diapers are required to wear swim diapers.
- Visitors will direct all questions and concerns about swim area operations and/or activities to the LETRA manager or lifeguards that are not on surveillance duty.
- No open fires and/or cooking fires on the beach.
- Music is permitted on the beach, but volume should not exceed the immediate listening area, or interfere with the enjoyment of other visitors.
- Animals are prohibited on the beach and swimming area with the exception of designated service animals. Animals must be on a pet leash at all times.
- Although beer is allowed on the beach, patrons suspected of being under the influence of alcohol will not be permitted to enter the water.
- An individual, family and/or group may not control the use of the beach.
- No glass containers on the beach.
- No drinking alcohol on or in the lake.
- Beach and corresponding parking lot are off limits when the beach is closed and no lifeguards are on duty.
- No swimming outside the designated swim area.
- No playing on the designated swim area buoy line.
- No shade structures in front of the lifeguard stands.
Admin Office Hours of Operation
|Monday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Tuesday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Wednesday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Thursday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
|Friday||7:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.|
LETRA Beach & Waterslide (Back to School Hours)
|Wednesday||4 p.m. - 7 p.m.|
Country Store Hours:
Wed–Sun 11 a.m. – 7 p.m.
Mon & Tue Closed
LETRA gate (Located on HWY 49 near Medicine Park) is not open to the public. This gate is only utilized when low water crossings are shut down in the event of bad inclement weather or for emergency purposes only.
For more information regarding Fort Sill's entry points hours of operation or if you have a question about whether or not you need a visitor pass to gain access to Fort Sill, contact the Visitor Control Center at +1 (580)442-9602 or +1 (580)442-9603 or email your question to Fort Sill at this email address: [email protected]ail.mil